I have more topics in my head than time to write them, so let’s take one off the list: current summer wishlist!
My pony expenses have to stay low-budget and limited, but I am not opposed to saving for a new item if it’s worth it and can’t be found used.
|Note the new PINK caged stirrups!|
1. Caged stirrups. These have actually been on my list for over a year now. When my current pair started to be very-dead as opposed to dying, I called American Trail Gear and ordered their new nylon stirrups with hot pink cages. They arrived Thursday. I love them and have no regrets. (I did have to punch a half-hole in the stirrup leathers since the Easycare stirrups don’t compress the same way my previous pair did, but once that was done? Perfect.)
2. Half-chaps. I actually went to Horse Expo last year looking for half-chaps to replace my Ariat All Around chaps – which we purchased for me originally around 2003. I wore them for some lessons, they never fit quite right, I ended up getting tall boots instead. I pulled them back out four years ago for riding Confetti around, and found they suddenly fit much better since my calves were larger now!
But after three years of serious wear, they’re tired, they fit a little funny, and the suede is totally gone. I bought half-chaps from Distance Depot last year; they fit even *less* well, but worked for a year anyway (they fit differently not-well, and it seemed better at the time). I’m certainly not ready to throw the Ariats out or even give them away. I just want half-chaps that are actually comfortable instead of mostly comfortable.
I found a pair of Ariat Terrain II half-chaps in what I think is my size on HorseLoverz, nearly half off. They should arrive later this week. Verdict coming later!
3. Equi flex sleeves. I like the idea, I want them, they’re not terribly expensive. Barring other things breaking, this should be my next major purchase – hopefully before October! Bonus: they come in pink.
|Clipped pony, last October.|
4. Woolback pad. My original Woolback lost some of its stitching during a wash and is no longer useable as-is. I’m using a Coolback and that seems to be fine with ‘Fetti. I’d like to get another Woolback, but can’t justify a second pad when the one I have is working and the new ones have lost some of their quality/reliability. If I find one used and reasonably priced, I’d buy it, but I’m not feeling the need to buy one new.
5. Clippers. I will need to clip for Quicksilver. ‘Fetti is already starting to shed her summer coat, which means the winter one is coming in. I will almost certainly purchase some before October.
6. Tipperary helmet – likely later this year, or whenever I take a fall, whichever comes first. Now that I think of it, I’m not sure I replaced my helmet after December’s fall. I’ll need to look into that. Would I need a DaBrim visor to go with? My Troxel’s been doing fine with the standard visor; does the Tipperary have less of one?