Things accomplished (but not yet noted) last week
- mellow, not-even-remotely-conditioning ride in new treeless saddle. Good: knees were happy. Bad: no conditioning or energy drain accomplished. (Pony got to run in the arena afterwards instead.)
- sent one saddlepad off to be washed. Thanks, barn friend L! Two more in that pile if the first one goes well, and that always makes me feel better before a ride.
- Drove an hour north to the consignment store to look around. I found a Woolback pad with inserts at an excellent price and promptly bought it, despite that not really being on my shopping list or in the budget at all.
- mellow, not-even-remotely-conditioning ride #2 in new treeless saddle with new Woolback pad, complete with Thelwell pony imitation. I could kick with my heels if I really tried, but otherwise my legs could not reach the horse. Highly entertaining.
- Packed half my bag of clothes.
- Contemplated buying new rhinestone hearts for bridle. Did not buy yet – but found some!
If you’re reading all this and wondering where the preparation is.. me too. At least I’m only slightly stressed about it so far?
Weekend plan: Serious Ride in actual endurance saddle. Possibly two rides. Put hoof boot spares together.
– follow up with farrier and/or re-cable and fit all hoof boots
– bathe & rebraid pony
– quick tack cleaning – leather cleaner on billet straps, dunk all biothane in a bucket
– pack my camping gear
– review NATRC cards from previous years
– pack pony camping gear / non-tack accessories
DIY Horse Ownership switched over to her own domain and is running a contest – take a look and update your feedreaders.